Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Random Thoughts while descending the mountain

It has been two weeks since I have been able to sit at my computer for an extended period of time to blog. First I was out at Rock Lake Christian Assembly for a most excellent Senior High Week, then out with my father and sister for a week of pop-up camping at Covenant Hills during Family Camp. A time of seeking, a lot of encouragment and a lot of praying would best describe the time that has passed. Onto the list:

1) For those not familiar with Covenant Hills and their Family Camp week, perhaps this will help. The Free Methodist Church is not independant like Restoration Movement Churches. Michigan is divided into 3 conferences. My home Church, Lansing Central Free Methodist, is part of the Eastern Free Methodist Conference, and Covenant Hills is our camp. To understand Family Camp, this of camping like at the Northman, except it is for all people (not just men) and each lot has an electric hookup. Don't worry hardcore campers, I was in a tent for the week.

2) Having had the experience of growing up at Central FM yet schooling at GLCC I've often heard the question "What is the difference between the two?" The biggest things I notice is that FM is based slightly on the holiness teachings of John Wesley, but not to the point that they are more authoritative than the Bible by any means. They also do not believe baptism is an essential part of salvation. Regardless of what that makes you think, I want to make one thing perfectly clear: God is moving and advancing his Kingdom through the Free Methodist Church. After a week at Covenant Hills hearing ministers share their testimonies and what they are doing for the kingdom that is clear. Now I might be stepping on toes here, but maybe if we focused more on serving God and not what separates us from the denominations we could all do that work together. (Note: I am not saying that God is not moving in the Christian Church/Church of Christ. Far from it. What I am suggesting is that maybe we are missing oppertunities to partner in ministry with other Churches.)

3) Hindsight truly is 20/20. I began this summer wondering where God would use me next and what I would be doing as I figured out the next part of life. With the main parts of summer nearly over I look back and see that God has continued to use me, a lot of it with me not realizing or admitting it. God did some great things at each week of camp I got to serve at. You don't have to be vocationally hired to do great ministry, you just have to be reading and willing. That makes a segueway into the next point better than I planned.

4) I'm back on the job hunt. With most of the summer oppertunities I had finished up, it is time to find a source of income. With some recent car troubles, a looming dentist visit and an Itunes music account it couldn't come at a better time. I am not closing the door to vocational ministry by any means, but I am no longer afraid to seek other means of employment that can utilize my gifts and passions just as well. Pray for this, that was a scary conclusion to admit to.

5) This post's verse of encouragement comes from a powerful part in Philippians 4:13. "I can do all things through Him strengthens me." Paul is talking about how he has been through times where he has had plenty and he's had times where he has had nothing. Well almost nothing. Nothing but Christ. And that's really the opposite of nothing isn't it. While I do not know what the future holds, I have no doubt that God will continue to use me and work through me while I find a way to make money that enables me to do that ministry. And that's really what it's all about.

6) Part #5 may become a regular feature in this blog. Well at the least the verse of encouragement part.

3 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Lots of great thoughts in this post. I have apme thoughts but will wait to share those when I'm not commenting from my phone.

Good insight on my last post. This is why you are my favorite rowing partner! :)

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

I see I still need to get use to writing on my phone. Is "apme" a word?

All I have to say is this. My prayer for you this summer has been that God would lead you to a job you enjoy where, you can use your gifts and share Jesus with others. I can't help but think that the next stretch of your journey is going to be a great time of growth. It might not be easy, but it will be worth it.

Number six is a good idea. I like it. Of course everyone knows how much I love the fact that you numbered your thoughts.

See you soon...hopefully!

Jon Hatter said...

James Pahl! You told me I was the only one you would row with. You cheating...

Okay. Nevermind. It's good to 'hear' from you again. Next time I'm out your way I'll let you know. For what it's worth, I knew you were gone when I was in Lansing last. That's why I didn't try to contact you.