Sunday, July 6, 2008

Random Thoughts on the 4th of July, on the 6th of July

Wow I slacked off! I usually make an annual post on the 4th talking about something significant and historical. I guess this year I opted for some muppets music which I ate up like the steak we had for lunch. All right, down to business.

1) One of the things I personally remember and honor the week of the 4th is a battle that occurred July 1st-3rd. That is the battle of Gettysburg. As part of an organization dedicated to remembering the sacrifice that the Union soldiers made during the Civil War it is a time that is especially important in my mind. Often overlooked is the battle of Vicksburg which ended a day later than Gettysburg. So many lives lost, so many who paid the ultimate price to unify our country. So many more fight and represent our country today. I thank, honor and pray for them. Regardless of how you feel about where they are or why they are there the fact is they are there and they deserve our gratitude and prayers.

2) This very entry was just suspended for a good 10 minutes? The reason? I was startled by a sudden snarling noise that repeated itself every few minutes. After watching outside very carefully my eyes chanced upon 3 rodents invading our driveway. I shined our trusty mag-light and revealed the critters to be 3 racoons up to no good. Two of them were sneaking across the town and being followed by a third. I say it this way because the snarling I heard was the first stopping, turning and attacking the third one every now and then. Only in Mason. A fun detour that could possibly derail this post.

3) Fun fact I should have known: Today, July 6th is a very special day. Not because of another historical event, at least not one that will go down in text books. Today is the anniversary of the wedding of my parents. That's right, they said their vows, traded rings and tied the knot on this day 34 years ago!

4) For those of you keeping track at home that means they were married 8 years before I came along. Lucky them right?

5) Visited Trinity Church today for my Sunday service attendance. Nice building, good children's safeguard measures. I went with Jason and Asia Sleight so they have to drop off their kid, and it's a good way to see how they do it. So those parts were nice. I didn't get to see the youth room so I will have to do that sometime. Otherwise to be honest it's not a place that I am desiring to visit again.

That's all I got tonight. Rock Lake's Senior High week is in a week. Looking forward to that! Have a great week.

1 comment:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

You've been to two weeks of camp since this post. I expect to see some great camp posts after you return!

I know. I know. No pressure! :)