Thursday, July 3, 2008

Random Thoughts after Camp

Greetings to quite possibly a dozen people! How has your week been? As you may or may not recall I spent Sunday night, Monday and most of the day Tuesday at Rock Lake for Terry Strickler's 2nd-3rd grade week of camp.

It was a great experience and as I go into this edition of "Random Thoughts" I will be touching on that specifically.

1) Children are awesome. They are so cute and innocent. I am the worst disciplinarian when it comes to dealing with them. I can't punish them. Well eventually my nerves get worked and I can but it takes me a long time to get there. You learn a lot about God working with kids.

Children are an interesting part of the Kingdom of God. In Matthew 19:14, Jesus rebukes his disciples for trying to stop parents from bringing their children to Jesus. He sternly says to them "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these." The more I work with them the more I see this. From my year of playing with Hannah Lowman several times a week to the first few days of this week.

Everything a child does, he/she does whole heartedly. They are so passionate about everything they do, whether it's going down a twisty slide or shouting the "We Love Jesus" chant against the other trailer on the chariot. They strive to do everything (good and bad) to the best of their ability. When do we slip up and lose that? I'm not suggesting we are terrible people, but I know there are times in my life when I didn't do something as well as I could. I also know of times when I've done tasks assigned to me without passion.

2) For non-Rock Lake Campers, the chariot is an archaic truck towing two trailers that transports students and staff between the two main areas of camp.

3) An unexpected surprise visit from a friend always brightens any day. This brings about a new saying: A day can always get brighter even when you think it can't!

4) I have gotten more mosquito bites taking my dog outside for five minutes than I did in my combined time at camps this summer. What's up with that?

5) Do you really have to be skilled to do a job well? If I may backtrack for a moment (and I may, it's my blog!) I'm beginning to wonder if the simple truth is if you do anything whole-heartedly you will be good at it. Sure maybe computer networking takes skill, but if you passionately study it and work at it you will get good at it. I wonder if everything in our life, from how we work to how we relate to people could be based on how passionately we choose to live. Hmmmm...

That's all I got for now. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

You have no idea how much I love your new numbered thoughts format. It makes me smile!

Great thoughts about children. I know working with them is not my shape but honestly there is so much to learn from them.

I have lots of thoughts about your 5th item. Passion, desire and heart can make up for lack of knowledge and skills. It is that passion that will drive an individual to learn what he/she is lacking in the other. May be I'll post the rest of my thoughts on this.

I'm done rambling. See you soon friend!