Friday, January 30, 2009

Am I wrong in doing this?

Today gets a rare double-feature as I would like to convey a story. The story is true, but the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Jack is an aspiring Youth Minister. He believes he has a specific calling and has spent his life pursuing that calling.

3 months ago Jack applied at Church A. Church A posted a youth ministry opening and Jack thought it looked like something right up his avenue.

Jack was excited when he received an E-Mail from the head of the search committee. The E-Mail told him to expect to be contacted during the 2nd week of November. That contact never came.

Jack wrote the person he expected contact from twice during the month of November. No responses came. During the month of December, Jack went to Church A's website and dialed the phone number he found on it. He left a voice mail on the answering machine.

December came and went without a response. Finally in January, Jack E-Mailed the senior minister of Church A, exactly 3 months after he initially sent his resume. Two days later, Jack received a polite but brief E-Mail from the search committee head informing him the position had been filled.

Jack immediately wrote back. While accepting that God's will was obviously going in a different direction and thanking the head for the information, Jack inquired as to why he never received the contact he had been expecting.

Jack suspects he may not get an answer. Jack does not intend to pursue it any further, regardless of whether closure on this issue comes or not.

The moral of Jack's story? Jack doesn't really know, he just thought he'd blog the story.

Jack remains curious for the future. While he sees the fruit and worth of where he is at now, at the same time he knows it's not permanent.

"Jack" asks for prayer and patience as I continue to seek where God would have me serve. I know it's out there somewhere and I will keep searching for it, but I can't help but feel like an elder from Israel waiting to see the temple rebuilt. "How long will I wait?"

God's timing. The past, present and future are in his hands. My job is to be obedient in the now. And I will continue to attempt this to the best of my ability.

God Bless and good luck Church A.

-"Jack"

3 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Poor Jack. When you see him with you give him a hug for me and tell him I'm sorry churches are dumb sometimes. Unfortunately I know this happens WAY more than it should.


I'm loving the double feature bit. Think it will happen again soon?

Sorry about this got posted twice. Not sure how that happened.

Jon Hatter said...

Is "Jack" wrong in doing this?

I'm going to say "no." I've noticed in the last 3-4 years as I've begun to pay attention that churches have a really bad habit of jerking ministers around and sadly this begins as soon as they receive the resume.

All I can say to Jack is "Don't get discouraged, man. The Devil would love nothing more than to get you (err...him) out of ministry. God's got something in store if you (err...he) perseveres."

I'm not getting out to Lansing as much these days but next time I've got a trip planned I'll definitely let you know in advance. Hopefully I'll see you then.