Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Random Thoughts that are quite specific



My sister coaxed me into watching one of her Anime shows. Basically an anime is a funky word for a Japanese cartoon. They are eccentric and silly but I was surprised to find a deeper theme under the one that my sister calls her favorite.

The title is Full Metal Alchemist. The plot centers around two brothers, Edward and Alphonso. In their world what most fantasy realms would call "magic" is actually a scientific process called "Alchemy." People who study it are known as Alchemists. Alchemy basically allows you to take something and transmute (transform) it into something else. It has natural rules and laws just like real science.

The principle rule of Alchemy is what I find the most intriguing. "Man cannot obtain something without first sacrificing something of equal value." The Science of Alchemy revolves around this unchangeable principle.

There are other rules that have been set in place to protect the alchemists in their occupation. Chief among those is it is forbidden to practice Alchemy on human flesh. Basically you are not allowed to tamper with any aspect of humanity in your transmutations.

Edward and Alphonso began studying Alchemy when they were very young. They are prodigys of their mysterious father and are quickly discovered to be skilled in the ways of Alchemy. When their mother dies of natural causes they attempt to use alchemy to revive her. This fails miserably. Edward loses a leg and then has to sacrifice his arm to save Alphonso from dying completely, instead binding his soul to an empty suit of armor.

Edward and Alphonso embark on a quest to restore their bodies and bring them back to the condition they were in before this terrible mistake. They are on a quest of restoration.

I find this premise to be so Biblical, albeit unintentionally. We all know the story of the Garden of Eden, how God gave Adam and Eve free reign over it. He only gave them one rule, and ever since they broke it man has been on a quest to restore the broken relationship with God.

Or what the idea that says you can't obtain something without sacrificing something. Does following God require sacrifice? Didn't Jesus say whoever wants to follow Him must deny himself/herself and take up his/her cross?

The show has been interesting to watch and it makes me think of these Christian themes even if it didn't mean to. With themes like these floating around I couldn't resist putting something about it in the blog.

I'll be the first to tell you I don't get into anime cartoons very much. They just aren't for everyone. However if you ever want to venture out and check out something different from what you know, I recommend checking this one out.

I guess this means next time I should highlight my favorite one (Bleach!).

3 comments:

Sarah (Koutz) Johnson said...

Themes like this are all over pop culture. I love that. They become the beginning of some incredible conversations that may have never happened otherwise. I'm not an anime fan and forget to keep an open mind sometimes. Thanks for sharing!!!

Jon Hatter said...

No, I won't be out to the college this week (I don't think). Josh had surgery on Tuesday and isn't supposed to be driving so we'll both be staying here in GR. If that changes, I'll give you a call.

Anonymous said...

Alphonse, not Alphonso.

good blog though!