Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Random thoughts make a lengthy post

So I haven't blogged in awhile, thought I should again. This post will be filled with random thoughts from the last few weeks. Might want to buckle your seatbelt!

I checked the cluster map. Special greetings to readers in California and...Iowa? Don't be afraid to introduce yourselves!

Last week was Deeper Life Camp at Michiana Christian Service Camp. It was a great week and I'm amazed at how quickly it flew by. I had a great small group and grew closer to several good friends.

I came to camp looking for guidance. Guidance to make sure that I was seeking God's will for my life and not my own. That is something I struggle with a lot if we're being honest. I'm a very stubborn person. I do things my way whether they sink or swim. It's who I am. That needs to change when my way doesn't honor God. I did get some perspective on that this past week.

A lot of great things happened for me while at camp. I got inspiration for a lot of ideas that I want to do in my next ministry, wherever that may be. As I adapt my own model of "seek, study, and serve" it will go with me wherever I may be because I believe it is an effective way to vocalize the ministry I feel God calling me to. Now that I have the vision for how to do it I am excited to get it going. Whether that's vocationally or volunteer I do not know.

I found a verse that I very well consider to be my new life verse. Previous to finding this one my life verse was 2nd Thessalonians 5:17 "Pray without ceasing." (KJV)

During my quiet times last week a verse kept popping into my head, but I couldn't find it. After a few days of general confusion and wondering if I was losing it I finally found it:

John 4:23
"Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks."

I focus in especially on one phrase: A time is coming and has now come. We talk about all the things God is going to do and how the times that he is going to do them are on their way. Guess what. They're here now. The time is coming and has now come. It's going to happen and it is happening now.

We shouldn't talk about how we're going to live, we should live it now. It challenges me. It brings focus to my day. It's a great verse.

Random time. I always make myself chuckle when I say a verse is a great verse. To me it implies that there is a verse in the Bible that isn't so great. Like the one in Ezekiel talking about lusty women. Not so great. But you can't come out and say that can you?

That's long enough I'll stop for now. Pray for me as I continue to prepare for more camps. Next week I'm running recreation and preaching at Campfire for 2nd and 3rd graders at Rock Lake Christian Assembly. Then I'll be back up there a week later for High School Week. It's going to be crazy but God is going to move (and is now moving) and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

2 comments:

Sophie said...

I found your blog in a circuitous way. I have a friend who has as his occupation, "stand up philosopher" and for some reason, I clicked on the link. That click led me to a string of profiles of people with that same "profession". I found your listing of books interesting, and so I followed your link to your blog. Good luck with life, and God bless! :)

Jon Hatter said...

I envy the summer full of camp that you have ahead of you (and partially behind you, at this point). It makes me think of the days and weeks we spent doing Camp Teams. Quite easily the best summer of my college career. I hope that God continues to work on you and through you during the weeks and months to come. ((And I really, REALLY need to figure out a time to come visit...really))